What is Molluscum?
Molluscum contagiosum is a contagious viral disease that appears as bumps on the skin. Often, it becomes irritated and spreads fast. These bumps can feel uncomfortable and may make you feel self-conscious, but the good news is that you can prevent the spread of this illness. At Clear Lake Dermatology in League City or Webster, TX, we can schedule an appointment for you or your child to diagnose and treat the condition. We'll create a customized treatment plan that helps manage your symptoms, eliminate the lesions, and prevent it from spreading. People young and old can experience this uncomfortable viral infection. It takes a while to heal, but know that it will not remain inside your system indefinitely. Please schedule an appointment at your earliest convenience, so we can create the best treatment plan for you.
"Friendly & thorough. Saw to my needs so I can be on my way to recovery. Thank you Doctor & Staff! Janis Burge"- J.B. / Facebook / Mar 24, 2020
"Very pleased..Hannah Stevenson NP-c. Very very good at what she does. !!!"- T.S. / Facebook / Sep 11, 2020
"This place was the quickest and most pleasant appointment I’ve ever been to. Quick and efficient, no extra wait time, and the staff was extremely helpful."- L.C. / Google / Sep 10, 2020
"This is a very nice practice, clean, professional, and well staffed."- P.D. / Facebook / Sep 05, 2020
"Excellent service staff very friendly"- B.M. / Google / Sep 04, 2020
Molluscum is a viral infection that is easily spread through skin-to-skin contact or by touching infected objects, such as shared toys or sports gear. Children and adults of all ages can contract the condition. Itching, scratching, rubbing, scrubbing, or shaving the area may cause it to spread. Molluscum is also passed through sexual activity and can sometimes appear on the genitals, the inner thighs, or the abdomen of infected people. It can also occur in patients with compromised immune systems.
An itchy, red rash is the primary symptom of molluscum contagiosum. The bumps typically appear on your face, neck, arms (particularly in the creases of the armpits), and on the top of your hands. Symptoms of the infection include:
- Round, raised bumps on the skin that may be irritated, red, or flesh-toned with a small dot in the middle
- Itchy skin
- Infected bumps that fill with white pus
It's best to talk to an expert before attempting any home remedies or using over-the-counter medications that just treat the observable symptoms because you could make the infection worse. At Clear Lake Dermatology, we can treat your molluscum infection with three basic techniques:
- Scraping (curettage): This entails removing the affected bumps from the skin. This will not cure the infection or stop the spread of the virus. Scraping could be painful (particularly for young children).
- Freezing (cryotherapy): Using liquid nitrogen, our dermatologists can freeze off each area of infected skin. This may require several sessions with multiple applications to achieve the wanted result.
- Cautery: We can use heat therapy to remove the visible portion of the rash, which may also require several sessions for complete removal of all bumps. This does not stop new bumps from popping up.
Plan Your Procedure
- Recovery Time
- 1 - 2 weeks
- How Long It Takes
- 20 minutes
Seek Clear Skin Today
At Clear Lake Dermatology in Webster and League City, TX, our goal is to help you manage your skin condition with a tailored treatment plan. Molluscum may go away on its own after the virus has run its course, but it can be irritating, spread, and even scar your skin. Call us now for a personal consultation, and we'll help you reduce the symptoms associated with this infection.