Clear Lake Dermatologists Serve Patients Requiring Acne Treatment in League City, TX
What Is Acne?
Every inch of your skin has thousands of microscopic openings known as pores. When the skin is healthy, these pores protect and lubricate the outer epidermis. Unfortunately, they can also become clogged with dead skin cells, oil, and any airborne debris you come into contact with throughout the day. Acne occurs when the clogged pores create the perfect environment for a bacterial infection. This skin condition typically results in raised bumps, pustules, inflamed pores, and redness. Most cases of acne are not dangerous, but the infection can cause permanent scarring when it is left untreated.
Benefits of Acne Treatment
There are now more treatment options than ever for teenagers and adults who are struggling with moderate to severe acne. Professional acne treatments will allow you to rebuild your confidence by quickly reducing the visibility of these unwelcome blemishes. Patients who undergo professional treatments often benefit from:
- Little or no downtime after their treatments
- Fewer breakouts
- Milder breakouts
- Healthier skin that looks and feels great
- A smaller chance of permanent scars
- The ability to address severe acne that is not responding to traditional treatments and medications
How Do I Know When I Need Treatment for Acne?
Acne can occur at any point in an individual’s life, but most patients experience it between the ages of 12 and 17. During puberty, hormonal changes can increase the size of our pores and force our skin to produce additional oil. Many younger, as well as older patients, require professional acne treatments when they notice one or more of the following issues:
- Scarring as a result of their acne
- Skin discoloration (common among those who have darker skin)
- Painful lesions filled with pus
- Acne that is not responding to over-the-counter medications
- Self-consciousness during social situations
- Poor quality of life because of a negative self-image