Clear Lake Dermatologists Serve Patients Requiring Acne Treatment in Houston, TX
What is Acne?
The surface of the skin contains many small holes or pores. In fact, there are millions of pores on the face. Due to a number of causes, skin pores can become blocked, leading to the development of blackheads or whiteheads. Facial skin, upper arms, back, and the neck are areas prone to the development of blocked pores. When pores are blocked, oil begins pooling, leading to the formation of bacteria and inflammation, or more commonly referred to as acne.
Why Get Acne Treatment?
Acne myths are very common but do not rely on medical facts. One such myth is that you should leave it alone and let nature run its course. Unfortunately, if acne is left untreated, it can lead to the development of discoloration and permanent scars. Professional acne treatment can help boost self-esteem and self-confidence, which is particularly important for young people.
Benefits of Acne Treatment
Adults and teens can minimize outbreaks and prevent their skin pores from clogging by undergoing professional acne treatment.
Professional acne treatment results in:
- Less downtime following treatments
- Healthy skin appears and feels better
- Future acne breakouts tend to be less severe
- Reduction of scarring risk due to severe acne
- Fewer future acne problems
- Helps clear acne that is unresponsive to medication
How Do I Know When I Need Acne Treatment?
Because of hormonal fluctuations, most young adults will have at least one mild acne outbreak by the time they are 17 years old. You may require professional acne treatment if you have one of the following:
- Darker skin that becomes discolored after an acne outbreak
- Acne that causes scarring
- Acne that is unresponsive to conventional treatments
- The development of painful puss-filled lesions
- Acne that lowers quality of life or degrades your social life