Clear Lake Dermatologists Serve Patients Requiring Acne Treatment in Friendswood, TX
What Is Acne?
Your skin contains tiny outlets or holes, which are known as pores. There are millions of pores on your face, many of which can become blocked and lead to the formation of whiteheads or blackheads. Pores on the neck, back, upper arms and shoulders are also susceptible to blockage and may, therefore, develop blackheads or whiteheads. When blocked pores are not cleared, oils begin to accumulate and bacteria growth and inflammation set in, leading to what is known as acne.
Benefits of Acne Treatment
There are numerous benefits to professional acne treatment for those with chronic cases of acne, including:
- The ability to clear up acne that has not responded to other treatments
- Reducing the number and severity of future breakouts
- A healthier, more glowing complexion with fewer noticeable lesions
- Reducing or eliminating the scarring that often occurs with severe acne
- Minimal downtime after treatments
- Greater self-esteem
How Do I Know When I Need Treatment for Acne?
Nearly everyone will experience at least one mild breakout of acne between the ages of 12 and 17 due to fluctuating hormones during that time. Others may experience acne sporadically throughout their lifetimes. Treatment could be necessary if one or more of the following conditions are present:
- Discoloration among those with darker skin tones
- Severe acne, or a condition that does not respond well to over-the-counter treatments
- Painful lesions that are filled with pus
- Extreme loss in self-esteem due to noticeable acne
- Embarrassment from acne on the arms, shoulders, or back that leave you unwilling to wear bathing suits or tank tops